Linux Systems Administrator
- Seattle, WA
- Full Time
Linux Systems Administrator
We are a mature, yet fast-paced, live-video-streaming web company looking to expand our systems administration team to keep up with our growing infrastructure. We are responsible for 1100+ physical and virtual *nix systems, primarily running Debian Linux. In this large of an environment, you'll always be operating at scale. You aren't expected to be an expert on everything, but you'll need to know how to break things down and determine root causes.
You will have a team of intelligent and capable people to help you, so you'll be expected to work well with others and do the same in return. As a member of this team, you will have plenty of opportunity to learn new things and directly influence the growth of the infrastructure.
General responsibilities include:
* Participating in a rotating on-call schedule for production issues (and work to reduce the times everyone gets called)
* Ensuring that all customer facing and internal company services are running properly, handling support tickets and other service affecting faults that need attention
* Maintaining operating system standards, security updates, tuning, and upgrades (we use Puppet for configuration management)
* LAMP stack administration and troubleshooting (the P is primarily PHP but being a Linux environment, there is also Perl here and there, and some Python)
* Regular monitoring of systems and application performance, generating reports and seeking methods of improvements
* Working directly with development staff to resolve application issues, collaborating on platform upgrades and improvements as well as new products and services
Who you are:
* Self-motivated and self-managed, persistent and fast learning; you have a calm demeanor and positive attitude
* You are sensible and level-headed with a keen and clever wit
* You are fluent in shell scripting with (at least) basic knowledge of a higher-level scripting language (Python, Ruby, Perl, etc) and can automate tasks with either
* You are able to analyze log files and correlate their entries with system and application events
* You have above average problem solving skills, superior attention to detail, and an affinity for standards
* You proactively seek and offer improvement; you automate or otherwise seek to eliminate the source of recurring tasks
* You are someone who loves to tinker and has a natural passion for technology
More about us:
We've been around for over 14 years and continue to grow. We are already one of the top 10 US traffic destinations, and as we continue to expand we are looking for more top-notch sysadmins to join our team. If you are looking for a fast paced, yet casual and fun environment, then this place is for you.
We offer competitive pay and full benefits. 100% employer paid medical, vision and dental insurance, 401(k) with 50% match, subsidized transportation passes/parking, and a profit sharing program with no vesting period. Additional perks include catered lunches, company paid trips to exotic locales, bagel/fruit Fridays, monthly team events, family picnics, holiday dinners/parties and more!